State Representative Bill McCamley (D-33) first made it to the New Mexico House of Representatives in 2012 winning 61% of the vote over his Republican challenger. In the legislature, McCamely has been a strong supporter of LGBT equality. That’s no surprise given Dona Ana County’s prominence in the national marriage debate following the decision by County Clerk Lynn Ellins to begin issuing New Mexico’s first licenses to same-sex couples in 2013.
Nearly 900 same-sex couples have received licenses in Dona Ana County, which includes McCamley’s district, since last year.
So, it’s not surprise that marriage equality could be an important issue in House District 33. McCamley recently started handing out a campaign walk piece featuring his position on the issue and that has his opponent fired up and ready to lead an army of children (literally) against McCamley in their “critical” quest to defeat the progressive candidate in HD33.
The homeschool co-op group (homeschool parents often form co-operatives to connect local homeschool children and share instruction) recently sent an email to members asking them to bring their children out to go door-to-door during normal school hours to help McCamley’s opponent fight back.
From: “MVCHE Coop” <email@example.com>
Date: Jul 29, 2014 10:59 AM
Subject: Walking Friday morning to hang door hangers for Neal Hooks
Can you please send this out to theHomeschool Group?Neal Hooks (former homeschool dad) is running for State Representative in District 33 against Bill McCamley, who is the incumbent. Your Homeschool Co-Op meets in District 33.On Bill McCamley‘s door hanger it says “One of the proudest things Bill has done was work with Dona Ana County Clerk Lynn Elinns in marrying same sex couples. No one should be discriminated against based on who they love, and Bill will always back laws that protect people’s rights to live in happiness without fear of being treated differently for who they are.” I copied word for word ~ any “run-ons” is his fault:)I would like to ask the Homeschool group for young people, who can walk in Neal’s District and hang Neal’s door hangers. We will start this Friday, August 1st at 9:00 AM at my house (920 Raleigh Rd). Our walk will be very safe & organized, 4 – 6 young people per adult in a car. My plan is to go to certain areas, park car, kids split into two groups, one on each side of the street hanging the door hangers. Then back to the car and drive to the next street.My house will be the “hub” where we will all meet, have refreshments, & go out again. We will finish between 11-11:30.I am sure this could be counted as community service and Government extracurricular activities.So far I have one other adult to help me, I hope I can count on more.If anyone is interested in helping, please call and let me know by Thursday AM, so I can have a head count.Thank you so much, I sure can use the help; it is critical to defeat Bill McCamley this year.Very Sincerely,Carole Ann Hookscell# 702465-4647Hm# 575-541-3414
In case you didn’t already guess, McCamely’s opponent, Neal Hooks, is no progressive. Here are a few tidbits from his very hard to navigate website:
- “the push of homosexual agenda in our schools are destroying us.”
- he likes to compare women’s reproductive systems to Mars: “As a minimum, let’s start giving life in the womb the same benefit of a doubt we do for Mars.”
- he’s for giving more money to rich people: “This leads to an increase of capital available for the job creators to innovate, expand, and thus, create jobs.”
- he denies science-y things like evolution:
- “6) The evolutionary geological column (i.e. the order of fossils in the strata) is out of conformity with the evolutionary order than it is in conformity to it. For example, all major phylum can be found in all major evolutionary strata level on the Earth today. One simple example of this is fossil evidence of trilobites. They can be found in the earliest strata (where they are not supposed to be), as well as strata that was supposedly formed after their extinction. So, your point #2 about the fossils and their positioning is simply wrong.”
Hooks may need all the help he can get this election. His Facebook and campaign website are full of pictures of people sleeping, bored or otherwise ignoring him during public appearances: